REVIEW: Same OG – The Afrobeat Gospel Project Vol. 1
It’s always a vibe with new music from Same OG anytime and now, with her newly-released body of work, “The Afrobeat Gospel Project Vol. 1,” we literally got vibes on vibes!! I mean good vibes all the way. The Afrogospel music sensation and Femcee brings it all on this 9-track set which boasts collaboration from some of Afrogospel’s finest including Angeloh, Henrisoul, Oba Reengy, A Mose, More.
Going through the new collection, you can’t but notice Same OG intentionally putting a spin on some of Gospel’s hymn classics with energetic vibes for a refreshed experience. Ok, let’s right into it.
– The first track, “Awesome God” is a great start to the album, with its pulsating beats and power verse from A Mose. The song hook will surely get listeners singing along as it features lyrics from a well-known gospel classic “Our God is an awesome God, He reigns from heaven above With wisdom, power, and Love, our God is an awesome God”. It’s almost unrecognizable due to the creative tweak Same OG infused to make it sound really melodious.
The multi-talented female rapper laced her full artistry on the opening track as she rendered her vocals on the verse to sit right on the groove.
– Same OG wouldn’t let the vibe drop in her next track. She was spot on from the very first second she slotted into the hard-hitting beat. The track titled “He’s got the whole world in his hands” finds Same OG laying her bars/singing with a spice of Yoruba (local dialect). With her sonorous voice, she heralds the greatness of God who showers His own with blessings always. “No worry! No Stress…Baba God dey!”, she declared on the 3-minute track.
– While still vibing to the last track, “Soon and Very Soon” beats on your eardrums with soft and sensational supersonic sticks. The Afro/ragga fusion comes with a message of upliftment and encouragement, especially for those who may be going through difficult times. It’s a song of prayer and also prophetic!
Same OG draws inspiration from the popular Bible Verse, Proverbs 30:5, which says “…but Joy comes in the morning”. She sings that the “Sun go shine” even though weeping may endure for a night. The 16-bar rap by Eclipse Nkasi was the icing on the cake. Afrorap never had it this good in a while I bet you.
– The next track, “Nothing but the Blood,” is pure essence wrapped up in excellent musical packs and delivered with Grace! The track fuses Afrobeats and soul with a pinch of Ragga – a perfect recipe for any ceremony or occasion. Angeloh brought on a different vibe to this track entirely with his Rasta-rap to give the track its deserved taste and feel. With lyrics from the classic hymn, “What can wash away my sin?”, Same OG declares that “The Cross is the shape of Love”.
Angeloh was genius on his rap, while Same OG scores ace with her soul-gripping and captivating singing.
– Afrobeats meets highlife with a touch of soul on “Swing low,” the 5th track on the project. It features henrisoul who perfectly flexed his vocals on the track appropriately. Featuring lyrics from the popular hymn: “Swing low, sweet chariot, Coming for to carry me home,” this track brings new life and energy to the classic.
– On the 6th track, “Amazing Grace” Same OG teams up with Afrogospel sensation Oba Reengy who brought it all with his singing on the hook and a dope rap verse. This song is sure to make the playlist of Afrobeat lovers as well as lovers of good music.
– Same OG had to get her trap on for “Way Maker” on #7 and not just alone, featuring Keasha. On the Afro-Hip-Hop joint, she simply acknowledges and calls God the “Way Maker”.
– #8 “Move”, as the name implies is an inspirational track that will get you moving, not just to the beat but towards your destiny as you keep your heart stayed on God. “Rely on him”, sings Same OG as she encourages listeners to stay in a praise mood and never give up. The track features rareroot.
Concluding this wonderful collection is an amapiano dance track and celebratory anthem titled “Oh Happy Day”. “Tell them to feel alright!” – Same OG says so! This track is sure to ignite joy and happiness in the heart of listeners. Are you having a bad day? this is your jam!
Listen to the full project below;
Permission to copy articles/excerpts from this site is subjected to credit given to Gmusicplus with linkback