Like a Thief in the night, the emergence of the feared most deadly disease currently giving everyone a big cause of worry as at the time of writing this piece, has killed and infected over 800 and 37,000 people respectively.
Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first reported from Wuhan, China, on 31 December 2019. It’s been said, many of the patients in the outbreak in Wuhan, China reportedly had some link to a large seafood and animal market, suggesting animal-to-person spread.
The name coronavirus comes from the Latin word corona, meaning crown or halo. Under an electron microscope, the image of the virus looks like a solar corona.
According to the (World Health Organization) WHO, coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).
The spread of Coronavirus can be compared with the speed of light if not detected on time. There is strong evidence that the virus also spreads from person-to-person through the following ways;
• Close contact with an infectious person. E.g shaking of hands or hugging.
• Contact with droplets from an infected person’s cough or sneeze.
• Touching objects or surfaces (like doorknobs or tables) that have cough or sneeze droplets from an infected person, and then coming in contact with your mouth, nose or face.
• Rarely, feces (poop)
What Are The Symptoms of Coronavirus
The significant symptoms of coronavirus are a bit familiar with other types of disease hence, it should not be mistaken or mixed up with another.
Symptoms can range from mild illness to pneumonia. Some people will recover slowly, and others may get sick very quickly. Individuals with this deadly disease may experience:
• Flu-like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat, and fatigue.
• Shortness of breath
• Severe Headache
• Running Nose.
How Can It Be Prevented
Currently the number one most feared disease in the world is currently defying medical measures put in place to emphatically stop its spread. However, you can save yourself and the lives of others the agony of being a victim by adopting required safety measures in other to reduce your risk of getting or spreading the infection by:
• Thoroughly washing your hands often with soap and water on a consistent basis.
• Avoiding touching your face, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoiding close or intimate contact with people who are sick and possess similar symptoms of Coronavirus. i.e Maintain at least 1 meter (3 feet) distance between yourself and other people, particularly those who are coughing, sneezing and have a fever as advised by (WHO)
• Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces that you frequently come in contact with.
• Covering coughs and sneezes with hygienic tissue, then properly dispose of the tissue and proceed to wash your hands.
• Avoid consumption of raw or undercooked animal products, to avoid cross-contamination with them as per good food safety practices.
Massive kudos must be given to the Chinese Government who have immediately provided two hospital facilities specifically for this dreaded virus. The 1,000-bed Huoshenshan facility and the 1,600-bed Leishenshan Hospital were completed just in a short number of days to the excitement of many.
Even as we go on with our daily lives in other parts of the world that are yet to experience this latest enemy of mankind, let us not forget to tread with caution and put the rest of other victims in our prayers, earnestly seeking for the peaceful rest of many whose souls have been lost.
Victor Emmanuel Onuh is my name, Bye For Now!
Permission to copy articles/excerpts from this site is subjected to credit given to Gmusicplus with linkback